Saturday 11 September 2010

The Results are Now In

The Writing Buddies meeting came round again and quite a few of us gathered at the Art House Cafe to learn the results of the anthology competition. We had a guest, Simon Walley, who announced the winners and runners up. A very well done to all those who went home with certificates and an envelope - I was hoping for a "highly commended" mention but alas, my short story fell short I suppose. I can't wait to read the winning entries in the book when it's published.

The Writing Buddies meeting is always informative and I go home with lots of ideas to follow up and there's always plenty of encouragement. Eileen told me that I need to get more feedback on my work and not rely on my Writer's Bureau tutor. That's not to say my tutor gives the wrong adivce. Indeed, I value what she tells me and certainly take note. It may not always be what I want to hear but feedback should always be positive and constructive. Funnily enough she didn't like the story I submitted to the antholgy comp and said it was "confusing." It was a ghost story and I didn't think it was confusing but I wonder what other's might think.

I'm off to Spain and hope to spend the afternoons writing THE NOVEL. As it's partly set in Spain I should be inspired enough to produce some reasonable work plus I need to write two short stories for the Writers Bureau. I shall spend this afternoon gathering up all my writing materials.

It'll be an early night as we're up uber early to drive to Dover to take the P&O to Calais.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline!

    Well done for entering your short story. I deliberately didn't enter this category as I knew it would be the most popular (as is reflected in much of the writing world!). So you were braver than me! It is my theory that you can find a home for all your ideas in writing but some ideas suit different formats. I recently had two plays rejected from the Nuffield and whilst it is disheartening I always look to the next challenge. Having realised they may not work in that format I will use the same ideas later for a short story!

    Have a lovely time in Spain and hope to see you at the next meeting!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Catherine

    Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. Sorry not to have replied sooner. Another problem in Spain is lack of a decent internet conection at present so I don't do any 'blogging' when I'm there.

    See you at Writing Buddies this week (22/10)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See you then ;)

    ReplyDelete